Wednesday 16 July 2008

Looking for project leaders

Looking for Project Leaders

When I started the 3.S project I was the only person involved. Now the project is growing (we get on average one new project member every day) and I've found that I can safely pass on leadership of certain Builds to other people.

With that in mind I'm looking for people that can take over the overseeing of certain Builds...well, most of them actually.

Now that I can rely on people to help, it is in the best interests of the project that I hand aspects over to people better suited to running them; people with more knowledge on the fandoms being used as the Builds and with more experience on playing and GMing.

Currently looknig for new leaders are the following Builds: -

Silent Hill,
Bioshock,
Pokemon (though I'll be waiting until I've finished working out the basic mechanics. I'm determined to finish working this out an I'm almost done.),
Legacy of Kain, &
Naruto.

I've decided that I want to keep overseeing the Kingdom Hearts Build, seeing as I'm the most familair with the mechanics of it (seeing as I've written a majority of them) and it's the fandom I most enjoy doing the rules for.

In addition, I've also started work on a new Build, but I'm keeping the details of that under wraps. I'm doing this for a number of reasons, which I wont go in to right now. People are welcome to get involved but you'll have to PM me because that section of the forum will be hidden. If you want to be involved, you need to be open minded and not easily offended.

Anyway, that's all I'm saying about that for the time being.

Mission Statements and Whatnot

In other news, I was asked why I'm going through with this project.

At first I wasn't even sure myself but I've come to realise that it's not just altruism that's motivating me.

The truth is that I find working on rules fascinating. I don't know why; I just enjoy working things out and doing these rules gives me a tremendous amount of scope to play with. I suppose it's the same as people enjoying doing maths. It doesn't make much sense to the likes of us but they get something out of it. I imagine it's the same thing here. It helps me to take my mind off of things and it focuses me...as well as relieving the odd spout of boredom.

So while I'm busy creating I realised that the stuff that actually worked could benefit the D&D and D20 community. I realised that I wanted to put this to good use and with the introduction of 4e (which everybody hates) I thought I'd do my best to come up with something better.

And you know what? It's working. There's been a naysayer or two (negative folks with no imagination) but every day we get another addition (on average) and people are getting involved and liking what we can do with this.

So I want to thank every indivudual who is contributing, no matter how big or small.

Even those people who only come for the Roleplay or the General chat are building a community, a good community of imaginative and friendly people.

Everyone, in one way or another, are contributing to a wonderful project; a project that started as an errand thought and is flourishing in to something for everyone, by everyone.

Worlds are being built, friends are being made and ideas are being woven.

I had doubts, but the people involved have banished those entirely.

I want to finish with an open letter to WotC that I found on their forums which made me glad we're doing this: -

An open letter to Wizards of the Coast - by "drewnchick"

I've not engaged in the discussion on these boards, silently lurking and listening to everyone's responses, both pro and con. I waited, I hoped, I even read the books. Now...I am responding with what I hope is a thoughful letter to the Wizards.



Dear Wizards,

We feel spurned, WotC. So many companies had licenses revoked--er, not renewed...feels the same, WotC--and that wounded or killed a number of them. A hundred thousand readers of Dragon and Dungeon had their lifetime subscriptions forceably suspended, and THAT hurt a lot of people.

WotC (or Hasbro...makes no difference to us), your obvious drive to gather in everything for yourselves seriously offended nearly everyone. Yes, it was your right to do so, and maybe it even made good business sense from a bean counter's point of view. But business is NOT just about money; it's also about the relationships with customers, and you managed to tick off, worry, or confuse just about all of them.

We all see through the guise. Yes, we were complaining about a few aspects of the game. But no, we did NOT ask for 4E. Some of us will like it, and some will give it a chance. A few will even begrudgingly make the switch. But those are the exceptions. A strong and vocal majority of us--individuals and small companies alike--have followed you through the TSR days all the way to Seattle. We gave you all the support any company could want, and we really feel like you have treated us badly in return. We will NOT be following you anymore.

If it was your purpose to wipe the slate clean of all your "old-school" customers and start all over with a fresh and innocent generation, then I applaud your brilliance. If you intended to lose the "dead weight" of the past while boldly storming into the "future of gaming," then you have succeeded. But we feel the sting of your slap to our faces. We loved you; we supported you; we even held out some hope that 4E would NOT be the disappointment we saw coming. Nope. You slapped us all pretty hard, WotC. The final slap in the face would be you dedicating 4E in memory of E. Gary Gygax, who voiced his displeasure with your direction and decisions. Oh, wait...you actually did that.

So...we feel spurned, WotC. But there remains a ray of hope for us. Paizo Publishing is a-courtin' and we're becoming all too happy to switch loyalties. We know when we're not wanted anymore, but we also see a bright future for this company who WANTS us "old-school" gamers, who LISTENS to our collective voice, and who COOPERATES with other companies for the betterment and enjoyment of all who truly love D&D more than money.

Well, I hope the lesson you learn from this isn't TOO painful. I really hope you learn it. Don't say we didn't warn you.


Signed: A fed-up, old-school, pen-and-paper, tabletop gamer.


No comments: