Tuesday 26 August 2008

Update and things - 27th august 2008

Hey kids. This will be mirrored on the forum and will remain there for a while, after which it will be moved to an all new archive's section once this news has gotten old.

I've dillied and dallied and stuff hasn't gotten done. It's mostly my fault, having not been active.

I've been distracted by MMOs, personal issues and writer's block.

Tomorrow this changes though...Well, it's today by now, seeing as I'm writing this so late in the night...

Ahem..anyhow...

The new magic system is about 40% complete. I'm giving serious thought now in to a mana-like system or simplifying the magic usage limits to essentially be just like a mana system.

For example, Algenon the Wizard is level something-or-other, meaning he can use 11 spell levels per day. That means he an prepare 2 X Level 5 spells and a level 1, or whatever combination makes 11.

How does that sound folks?

I've also been asked why I'm redoing the magic system.

Well, the idea behind the Synergy Project is to not only provide rules that work with everything, but to put more in the hands of the players and GMs. We aim to provide the formulas and calculations used to build things. That way GMs have more freedom to create, and in some circumstances, the players do too.

In other news I'm making an addition to character creation. They're called "Base Mods."

They're based on the old mutations system of D20 modern and are a means to add further details to a character without wasting feats.

I'll explain in more detail. In D&D 3.5, feats were used to purchase things like a regional resistance to cold or something. These are the same feats used to purchase special abilities gained through hard work and skill.

Now the two are separate, with Base Mods as an extra available. There's no pressure to take Base Mods (unlike feats, which you have to take) but will still be there as part of the core rules.

I will admit though that there may be certain Base Mods that will only be made available or "unlocked" with a feat, but they'll be in the minority. I had an example in my head in the shower the other day but I've forgotten it...

Anyhow, such base mods will be things like bloodline benefits like; "Accustomed to warm environments" whereby a bonus is given to stuff in heat.

To balance it, it'll be done using the point system of D20 modern. Each Base Mod will have a point value and adding traits will add or subtract from an overall score.

The above heat thing will be worth +1 although will have a corresponding penalty that can be taken in cold places worth -1...

I hope you're following this.

Any eventual score over 0 will result in a level adjustment.

Oh and that gets me to a topic I'm sick of people bringing up. I will say this once and for all to all of you.

Level Adjustments are NOT punishments.

They are a means of balancing the game that allows you to have cool stuff. They are a reflection of an easier game due to an advanced ability.

Say, for example my character was able to breath fire. I would have an easier time in fights, meaning that the experience gained wouldn't be worth it. Experience gained is there to reflect the lessons learned through battle and whatnot. If it's easier for me, I wont learn as much...making sense?

I was giving thought to something I've nicknamed "Roving Level Adjustments," or "RLAs." These are level adjustments that only apply to certain situations. I've really got no examples in mind; it simply occurred to me that it may come up so I'd better have an acronym ready for it :P

Well, I think that's all I've got thus far.

Have fun kids,

HMR

No comments: